Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Oops they did it again...


In celebration of Britney Spears

little comeback show last night, I just had to use her song title to describe the latest coup by the New England Patriots. It really has been the perfect off-season by the Pats, every time they make a move I get tingles because I really think they're making a run at the dolphins perfect season in '74. Before I talk about how great the Pats front office performed this weekend I just want to admit one thing, no matter how bad Britney's antics get, I'll always be waiting here to give her another chance. People say she's slutty or trashy, I say that sort of thing has never bothered me. Maybe if she could somehow manage to not mess her kids up too badly, I'll be waiting to receive comeback after comeback with open arms. Onto the borophyl.

How can anyone question the Patriots acquisitions this weekend. They took a shot at a couple "problem children" with tremendous talent. The Patriots are really the only team who cuold absorb these problems and turn them out toeing the line. Randy Moss was on track to become the second best receiver in the history of football before being traded to the Raiders. If he wants to reclaim his career there will be no better place than here in New England. He just needs to commit to winning and Let Brady and Belichick do their things while making a few great plays here or there to help them along the way. Moss has never been a team leader, and he needed to be in a situation where he would be in no way asked to lead, now all he needs to do is fall in line and tell Bob Kraft his ring size. As far as the drafting of Brandon Meriweather goes, this was a guy who had the talent to go about ten spots huigher but slid because of a couple unfortunate incidents while at The U. He had probably the most embaressing performance during that ugly brawl with Florida International last fall (no small feet because there was plenty of shame to go around.) But he manned up and admitted how wrong he was and apologized for his actions, under the tutelage of such veterans as Rodney Harrison and Tedy Bruschi he'll learn how to be a professional and could end up being an impact player in the mold of Ed Reed. As if these two acquisitions weren't enough the Patriots also made a great move for the future by acquiring the 49ers first round pick for next year. In exchange for the 28th pick in this year's draft, where they clearly didn't want anyone on the board, the patriots acquired a pick for next year that should be in the top 20 or so (maybe lower due to the dreadful level of competition in the NFC.) This whole off-season has been a dream come true and I can't wait for the season to start. Now if they could only sign Britney Spears as a cheerleader, maybe a stint with the "Patri-ettes"could turn her career around as well.

I've been avoiding commenting on the Red Sox hot start this year, mostly because everyone in boston is so over the top when they talk about every Sox game every day that I don;t want to add to it, it's as if they don;t realize there is a new game every day. All that said I wasnted to comment on a few things baseball related. First and foremost, Jon Papelbon, I realize he blew the save last night but that doesn;t change the fact that Paps is the best closer in baseball right now. It might be a waste of his talent to use him as a closer, and for him personally the sooner they convert him to a starter the better his career will be. I just don;t believe that a guy can last as a closer for a full career. The only people who should close are pitchers who have rubber arms and pitchers who only have one or two good pitches. So I'm ok with having him do it this season to help the Sox win another ring, but after that, no more, they owe him that much. The second best thing coming out of the 'pen this year has been Hideki Okajima. It was joked that Okajima-san was brought in simply to hang out with Daisuke, but he's been awesome out there. I love all his junk, I love the fact that he's looking at the ground when he lets go of the ball, I even love his stupid necklace that only surfers wear. Watching him come through in every clutch situation has been the most pleasant surprise this season.

One last note, I wanted to admit that I broke down and watched the American Idol charity show last week. It was great to see my girl Carrie Underwood again, and as cold-hearted as I am, i was sucked in immediately by the awful stories from Africa and America as well. I loved the Jack Black segment, he was perfect for the show last week to give me an excuse to laugh. as my old fried Dick Clark would've said (not the Dick Clark, a different one,) pitter patter on the old heartstrings.

That's all for now, I'll be back sooner than usual hopefully.

-Bender Out

No comments: