Wednesday, March 14, 2007

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills


A couple of shocking moves this week. The first is the Knicks extension of Isiah Thomas' tenure as team President. The reasoning, reportedly, is that the organization is using the team's current position as the eighth place team in the eastern conference as proof that Isiah is a success as GM and as a coach. I would say it was shocking, but the fact that Isiah even had a job going into this season has rendered any future developments as commonplace. I can only view this from the perspective of a Celtics fan and perennial Isiah hater, and from that perspective, this move makes me giddy. Being guaranteed of the Knicks future failures just makes me want to celebrate. Isiah is usually a good judge of talent when it comes to the draft, and he ever realized that was his strength, the team might be able to build on this season's "success." But based on Zeke's history, I feel like there's no chance of that. So here's to the Knicks organization, for making my day, and giving me just a little more hope for the Celtics in the future.

The second most bizarre news this week came from Louisiana, where "Big Baby" Glen Davis has declared for the draft. Unless he figures out the joy of exercise and conditioning before draft day, he will be lucky to go in the second round, and his agent will quickly be fielding calls from Europe. The only way this makes any sense is if Davis realizes that if he spends another year in college he will be further exposed as a fraud and he'll never get a sniff at the NBA, maybe at this point he still has enough of a big name that some GM will take a flyer on him in the hopes that he'll pull a Udonis Haslem and transform himself in to an NBA level athlete and for once live up to his billing.

A quick non-sports note, I saw 300 this weekend and it is every bit as cool as the trailer made it seem. A lot of critics panned it, but if you like cool action movies, this will be the most satisfying one since Kill Bill. It's very graphic and they even threw in some gratuitous sex and nudity, basically staying true to the elements that make graphic novels fun. Another good quality to this movie was that I haven;'t missed a day at the gym since I saw it. I don;t really know much of the cast, I recognized a couple from other movies, but they're all jacked, even the deformed guy was in much better shape than me, now I understand better why the gay pilot in Airplane asked the young boy if he ever watched Gladiator movies. Anyway thats it for today.

-Bender Out

No comments: