Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Big Announcement

For my many readers who haven't heard yet, I have a new niece. Grace Ann Bender was born last friday, she's the first girl in a few generations, so I think my brother has got some splainin' to do. So congratulations to my brother Paul and his wife, Kara. Kara especially has desperately wanted a daughter for a while, so I guess it shows if you want it bad enough it can happen, even in the very masculine Bender clan.

So back to my normal stuff, The show Heroes continues to kick ass and take names. The introduction of this girl who can do the Jedi mind trick over the past few episodes, or more accurately the first displays of said mind trick has been the latest reason the show is so cool, for those who didn;t see last night's episode they showed exactly who Sylar is and what are his powers. The whole thing is just phenomenal.

Other big goings on with TV these days, NBC is putting two hours of comedy back on Thursdays. I'm pleased as punch about this, I'm glad at this point that even have four comedies to put back-to-back. hopefully it'll be a success, I've never understood the whole CSI thing, I've tried watching a couple times and it looks like a bunch of smoke and mirrors put out there to cover up over-acting and bad storytelling. I'm a huge fan of Las Vegas, the city not the TV show, but that's not enough to save this show either, maybe someday a fan of the show can explain to me what I'm missing but I doubt it. Just another reminder how out of touch with America i really am.

So the top three things that remind how little I have in common with the rest of America.
1) The 2004 Presidential Election
2) The 2000 Presidential Election
3) CSI
honorable mention to the band Linkin Park, and actress Angelina Jolie.

Other events this weekend, glad to see the Patriots win a big game that everyone was picking them to win. They're now 1-2 in such games. It's almost to the point where I don;t know how to react, they always used to be so underrated, now they may have swung the other way to being a bit overrated. I'll always give them a chance at winning the Super bowl but without Junior Seau and Rodney Harrison, they aren't quite the same team they were a month ago, and I'm not even sure if that one would've won it all.

Glad to see the Red Sox are ready to throw around money, but aside from Daisuke Matsuzaka, I can't say I'm feeling them. They've sat by while many relievers have been signed and they're planning on throwing big money at JD Drew who will be really good but vastly overpaid for the 140 games he plays. They're so desperate to get rid of Manny but for only 5 million dollars less Drew will hit 15 less homers and drive in 35 less runs. But Manny is a huge problem, whereas JD Drew must be universally loved by all teammates. The other guy they seem to be enamored with, for many years in fact, is Julio Lugo. Not only is Lugo not that good of a player, but he has definite character issues. the Astros put Lugo on waivers a few years back after he was arrested for beating his wife. That's how he ended up in Tampa where he put up meaningless numbers while fielding a mediocre shortstop. If he does come here the fans will welcome him with open arms, these are the very same fans who couldn't stop patting themselves on the back for roundly booing Brett Myers last summer after Myers was arrested for hitting his wife on the streets of Boston. I guess all I'm trying to say is that there should be more of an outcry against Lugo coming here.

That's all I got for now

Bender Out

No comments: