Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Continuing on

I hope no one is too shaken by the news I had the unfortunate task to deliver earlier, but it had to be reported. Some other things going on, I was shocked to see Hollis Thomas was caught for steroid use. I've always been under the assumption that many players in the NFL use steroids but Thomas would've been a guy I never accused, and that is for one simple reason, from looking at him I would've called him the fattest most out of shape man in the NFL. I remember watching him celebrate a big play in the playoffs back in 2004 and just thinking that he really had let himself go. He goes about 6'1" and I'd have estimated his weight over 350 pounds. I don;t judge, I just say that it's a complete shock that he was juicing to achieve this look.

Some other disappointing news out there, not nearly as disappointing as the Jenna Jameson situation, but disappointing none the less. The Boston Red Sox have gone ahead and signed Julio Lugo, and I today am vowing to never once cheer him, no matter the situation. I just can;t get over the idea of the Red Sox paying 9 million dollars a year to a wife beater.

Announcing that signing has reminded of a complete misconception among fans that I wanted to clear up. Many fans think that teams raise ticket prices so that they can play their players, but this the exact opposite of the truth. Teams sign all these players so that they can raise the ticket prices. All free agent signings and player salaries in general are made so that the team can create higher demand for their product. Some people may say this is a small point but I feel like most people don't get this. Teams charge as much as they can get away with for everything that they sell, from tickets to concessions to liscensing. The only reason they pay anyone a lot of money is to improve their own brand marketability. So please realize that there is zero correlation between Manny's salary and how much your families day at the ballpark costs.

Onto lighter things, on my way into work I was thinking about how different Annie Potts' career would have been if she had posed for Playboy, I imagine she would've been a far more succesful actress if she had been willing to sexy it up a bit more. And I'm talking really sexy-ing it up not just that stupid seductive popcorn eating she did in the late 80s. On a related topic I think that my life would've also been very different had Belinda Carlisle posed for playboy back in her 80s heyday. I think she could've done for chubby women in the 80s, what Jennifer Lopez did for big asses in the late 90s. And I tend to think of Belinda Carlisle circa 1983 as one of the 10 sexiest women ever. I dare to say that we would've never had to endure the waif model era of the early 90s if Belinda had just shown her goodies.

I'd be remissif I didn;t mention the sad loss of Eden on Heroes, just when I was getting into her she had to try and save the world but at least she went out in a true heroic manner. sacrificing her own life for the good of humanity, anyway she will be missed.

And to finish on an up nnote, great news out of the Red soxcamp yesterday, Jon Lester's cancer treatment is finishing up and seems to have been a success, the cancer is in remission and he's set to try and comeback on the field, so that is great news for a young guy who has been through a ton in the last four months.

That's all for today.

-Bender Out

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For the record Hollis Thomas's suspension was for clenbuterol, which is in his asthma medication. It is technically not a anabolic steroid, but it is on the banned list anyway.