Thursday, December 14, 2006

News of the day

A bunch of stuff going on that I wanted to comment on.

I was very sad to hear about Peter Boyle's death, I really loved his role on Everybody Loves Raymond. In my family we used to joke that the family on the show was exactly like our own, of course that comparison only worked if you eliminated my middle brother, but still. Anyway he used to give me a lot of laughs and it made yesterday a little bit sad.

Big news for the Red Sox who stared down Scott Boras and lived to tell the tale. We don;t know exactly how good Matsuzaka will be but it's hard not to get excited over the signing. I predict at least 25 wins for Daisuke this year, and a world series MVP. there were a lot of intriguing stories being leaked from behind the scenes, my favorite being the one from The Boston Herald who said that The Seibu Lions told Matsuzaka that if he didn't sign this deal they would put him in the minors and he wouldn't be a free agent in two years, and they also would put him up for posting next year either. So Theo was aided greatly by the Lions who earned 51 million, a number which is more amazing when you consider that their team is only valued at around 17 million.

Enough gushing about my man Dice, the real burning issue for me is the whole AI saga. I've long been of the opinion that Iverson is the most overrated player in the NBA. Just last night I heard someone refer to Iverson as one of the best two players in the league. That's a laugh. Iverson is definitely not now one of the Best two players in the NBA, I don;t really think he's ever been close to the best. He's a shoot first point guard or undersized two guard depending on your opinion, he dribbles too much, he dominates the ball, and most importantly he makes his teammates WORSE! There's a reasone that the Sixers aren't getting any good offers, it's because AI only has a couple good years left and he's not the type who makes a team into a contender for those two years. The team who gets him will sell more tickets for a couple years and they'll hurt their long term prospects. If the Celtics trade for him they'll probably win the Atlantic Division or whatever it's called now and they'll lose in the first round, they'll lose a couple good young players and they'll undermine their future for a couple years of improved mediocrity.

Which brings me to my next point, after much deliberation I've decided Danny Ainge has to go. Danny has drafted well but aside from that he's been bad. I've been reassesing him since the debacle that was the Sebastian Telfair trade, and I've decided he just lucked into a few good draft picks, and he really doesn't have what it takes to build a winner. His first round draft picks have been as follows Marcus Banks, Kendrick Perkins, Al Jefferson, Delonte West, Tony Allen, and Gerald Green, plus he's done well with second rounders including Ryan Gomes and Leon Powe. as a whole they look good, although I'd say that Banks and Allen are not very good. The real problem has been with signings and trades. He signed Brian Scalabrine to a pretty big contract, and he's awful. He gave Mark Blount a huge contract then he was a big bust. But the most disappointing thing has been the trades, starting with the original Antoine Walker trade and most recently with the Wally trade followed by the draft night deal he's ruining the C's. I don;t necessarily have a replacement in mind but at the very least it's time to start looking. Maybe another time I'll give my thoughts on the Celtics owners who strike me as having no clue as to how to build a strong organization.

Lastly, I wanted to throw my name out there for the BC head football coaching job, I'm very good at NCAA football for PS2 and regularly build dynasties. That's all for today.

-Bender Out

No comments: