Saturday, December 30, 2006

Inter-holiday post

A few things to get off my chest between the two holidays.

I just watched BC achieve a higher level of mediocrity than they had in some time. With their come from behind bowl victory over Navy they had their first ten win season since doug fluite was in Chestnut Hill. I definitely root for BC, but it's hard to get very excited about anything they do these days, they lose just enough to stay out of the top 15 and elite program status. Things will be changing next year, whether that's a good or bad thing remains to be seen, but I'll welcome the change either way, maybe they'll finally come up with a big win, and make a run at a big bowl. I'll definitely miss the pride that come with supporting a program that is atop the list for graduation rate, but if they make a BCS bowl even once in the next five years, I'm willing to make the swap.

Speaking of the Eagles, former BC coach Tom Coughlin may be coaching his final game for the Giants. The big news yesterday was that Jeremy Shockey will miss tonight's game against the 'Skins. It just begs the question, who will make a crucial drop then throw his teammates and coaches under the bus after this loss? Tiki Barber is always a candidate for that, but shockey is more of a sure thing. I think for everyone's sake they should lose tomorrow and then the team can be blown up and take a totally different direction. While I think that it's too early to give up on Eli, if the same questions are being asked about him a year from now as seem to be asked after their recent losses, it might be time to move onto to a new QB as well.

So once Coughlin is fired, there will be much intrigue over who moves into NY as the new head coach. And while talk of both Belichick and Charlie Weis swirls, I doubt either possibility will come to fruition. Maybe I'm wrong and these guys think as higly of the Giants as all the media seems to, but it'll be a real shock to me. I'd be more interested to see a wedding between Coughlin and 'Bama. The job remains open, and they're probably making a big run for Nick Saban, but if Saban turns them down, Coughlin would be a great consolation prize. It may be better for Alabama in the long run. Sometimes the best thing that can happen to you is to be turned down by your first choice. As wonderful as it is for Urban Meyer to be in the national title game, I can't imagine that Notre Dame is longing for him over Charlie Weis. Of course that will all be moot if Weis is coaching the Giants next year.

I saw Rocky Balboa last night, and I enjoyed it. While there shouldn't be any oscar buzz around it, I can't imagine that people will be asking for their money back. in some ways the movie felt like one of those reality tv re-union shows, there were so many clips, flashbacks and references to the old movies (and rightly so,) that I wanted to go back and watch those movies again when I got home. For what it's worth, the original Rocky for me is one of the more timeless movies out there.

While I'm talking about movies, I wanted to mention the fact that on Ebert and Roeper today, A.O. Scott referred to Clint Eastwood as the best director making movies today. At first I was taken aback by it, but upon much deliberation (at least 15 minutes of thought,) I have to agree. Furthermore the only reason he doesn't get credit for it is because he just doesn't carry himself as an Auteur or genius, he just makes great movies, excuse me, films that speak for themselves.

Well, that's what I got today, have a safe and happy new year.

-Bender Out

No comments: