Monday, January 15, 2007

MLK day

First things first, wanted to make sure everyone took some time out to remember Martin Luther King today and the many ways that he improved this country. Sometimes we take things for granted in this country, I talk about things like the history of baseball or basketball going back to the 50s or before and I never really remember how different the world really was back then. These athletes that we all admire weren't always allowed to share the same spaces in public, couldn;t drink at the same water fountains, and were forced to go to inferior school, so just take a moment and appreciate, and if you feel the spirit, make a stand of your own to fight injustice.

Ok, nobody really wants to read my thoughts on serious things, so ...On with the Chlorophyll.

The Patriots did it again. Sometimes I let a small bit of doubt dreep in to my head about how good the Pats really are, but then they beat the best team in football when the chips are down, and I remember how great they really are and have been for the last six years. The Chargers seemed like they should've blown the Pats out by at least 14, but the Pats made enough big plays and the Chargers made just as many big mistakes. The Pats offensive line was able to protect Brady well despite all the hype for Merriman and crew. Merriman was able to do his stupid "juiced up" dance where he mimics putting a needle in his arm, but it only came on an incomplete pass, I guess hurries are a lot more in style than they used to be. The other group that came up big was the much maligned receiving corps. Gaffney and Caldwell both had big games and of course Troy Brown made one of the great plays in recent playoff history by stripping Marlon McCree. And as for LT's little bitch session after the game? Maybe your team should've waited til after you won to celebrate. The whole idea that Merriman has a celebration dance to mimic shows who the real idiot in the scenario is. I wish the Pats could've shown class like Drayton Florence, who cost his team three points with his stupid headbutt of Daniel Graham. Perhaps we can put this whole nickname debate to bed, Lawrence Taylor is the only LT, LaDanian Tomlinson can now be known as saLTy.

The other three games are all a blur to me at this point. The Colts defense has really stepped up in their first two playoff games, but I can;t help but put part of the blame on the offenses that they've faced. Neither of their opponents are known for their offenses and they definitely couldn;t make the Colts pay for keying completely on the run. That being said, I doubt Manning will look as bad next week as he has so far, unless of course he really can't perform in the playoffs. This weeks AFC championship game should be another great game that might as well be referred to as the Super Bowl.

In the NFC, the games were very exciting. I don't necessarily think of the Seahawks or Bears as great teams, but it kept me on the edge of my seat, and they made enough good plays that I could see either of them winning the NFC title. The Bears pulled it out, but I'm still picking the Saints next sunday. The Saints ran oll over the Eagles, and while the Bears had their moments last week, they couldn;t really figure out how to stop Shaun Alexander. So I envision Bush and McCallister having huge days and leading America's new team into the Super Bowl.

As for anything else going on out there, I guess the Chris Webber signing is notable. He claims to be feeling better than he has in years, but unless they're gonna use him as a seventh or eighth man, his softness makes the pont moot. He wasn;t enough to put a team over the top when he was healthy, I can;t imagine that he can help The Pistons now that he's washed up physically.

So everyone has been asking me for a prediction and I'm coming out with one, Wes adn Svetlana will win the challenge this thursday. I of course am speaking of the RW/RR challenge: The Duel. With CT and his meltdown last week, the game is wide open. CT showed his true colors, He seemed to be dangerously close to ending his MTV career by attacking someone. They all laughed and celebrated when Beth was eliminated the same way, and she was apparantly able to handle it with a little more class than the pride of the mass-holes, the local gorilla, CT. It seems like they give CT the same story arc eveytime he does one of these shows, they convince you that he's being nicer and he's a better guy than you realized, and at the last minute he exposes himself as a douchebag. The recurring charcters are just another reason why this is the best reality TV show out there right now. Hopefully the WWE will capitalize in CT and higher him to fight The Miz in a steel cage death match.

on a final note, I saw an old clip of Martha Stewart on the MTV awards when she made it clear that she wanted a piece of Busta Rhymes. This was the same time that Busta was first introducing "What Da Dilly Yo" into the American vernacular, just to give you a point of reference. Anyway, I realized that Martha Stewart is a fun fun lady, and is one of my favorite cougars out there. So, Martha, if you're out there, call me.

So I'll be here by my phone, until later.

-Bender Out

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where did Caldwell and Gaffney go to college?