Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Nothing Left for Me

Well it had to happen at somepoint, the Pats lost a big game when it looked like they had it won. Not only were they way out in front, leading 21-3 and driving for what looked like another score that might have been enough to deflate Indy, but even at the very end all they had to do was get one first down when they were up three with just over two minutes to go, and they had the ball. Anyway, I keep thinking back to the scene in the movie Pleasantville, where William H Macy says "maybe that's where the saying comes from, 'You can't win'em all.' Of course they weren;t really gonna win every big game, but after beating the Chargers you thought that just maybe they would win 'em all. Anyway I was feeling kinda sour yesterday, and every time I tried to talk about the game with someone I was disappointed that they didn;t share my exact [popint of view even though I wasn;t sure exactly how I wanted to react to the game either. I figured out that I wanted to secretly blame the refs by pointing out bad calls, well claiming to be giving all the credit to Indy. So my strategy would be lead off by saying, "I'm not looking to make excuses." Or I'd come up with, "I'm not saying it was the refs fault." But then I felt I had free reign to list the worst calls of the game. Quickly now, Troy Brown's offensive PI, Ellis Hobbs' defensive PI, the no call when Reche Caldwell was tackled in the end zone that should've been PI, and of course the obligatory roughing the passer call which has become a farce this season.

Ok, so now that I've tried to sneak my excuses, without even mentioning that all The Pats players had the flu, and the Colts turned the heat up in the building to the high 80s, I do wanna say that over the years I've grown to appreciate the Colts. I still think Bill Polian is a douchebag, but Tony Dungy strikes me as a great guy, and given what he went through last year I can think of no one else that I's rather root for with the Pats being eliminated. Same goes for Peyton Manning, who has put oput consistently funny commercials for a couple years now, and seems like a nice guy. If tom Brady can be pals with Peyton, I guess I can root for him to win one Super Bowl.

As for the NFC championship, well I quite enjoyed that one. It seemed like evryone had penciled the Saints into the Super Bowl, but the Bears D just shut'em down, The Saints made too many mistakes. Reggie Bush's catch was great and i had no problem with him pointing at Brian Urlacher on his way into the end zone, but after that play everything went right for Chicago. I love it went the real favorite steps up and wins in a game like this, it reminded me of the first time the Pats and colts met in the AFC championship game. The Colts were a lot more glitzy and everyone thought the Colts would run them off the field (similar to the second half of sunday's game) but the Pats D shut'em down, similar to the Bears.

Hopefully the Super Bowl will be great, I'm thinking the Colts will win comfortably, maybe 24-17 or something of that ilk. I think there are just too many weapons for the Bears to hold down, and their offense can;t afford to get into a shootout.

After the super Bowl I'll have nothing to care about sports-wise til March Madness, and with BC out of the mix I probably will have to look toward the NFL Draft for entertainment. I'll be back soon and complain about the Oscars.

til then

-Bender Out

No comments: