Monday, January 07, 2008

Bring Back My Writers!



It's already starting to be a real struggle keeping myself entertained. You'd think I'd be blogging everyday given my claims of being bored by my lack television, but just because I'm bored doesn't change the fact that I'm lazy, so get off my back! If this writer's strike keeps up I might just start getting into this Presidential Election, turns out there are some sort of primaries going on up just north of here today. The young people have something to believe in the first time this millennium, if not longer. No longer do they have to choose between a dolt and a stiff, this time around they can support Barack Obama and not view him as the lesser of two evils. I can't remember the last time I saw a politician who made me excited, I don;t really have any frame of reference for this, but this must've been a bit like how the young people were feeling back in 1960, record numbers of young voters came out to vote in Iowa and hopefully it's just a sign of things to come.

Of course, the most exciting news in terms of the democratic process, American Idol starts up next week. Maybe AI combined with Lost will be enough to sustain me for a few months, let's all hope so, otherwise it's all politics all the time for this guy. I actually watched Fox for a short time tonight and caught the latest flop of a BCS Championship Game. I think there's only been one good game out of the last five Championship Games. This game was interesting until about midway through the second quarter when it became obvious that Ohio State was over-matched once again. I briefly tried to keep myself entertained by concentrating on the play of OSU Linebacker James Laurinaitis. Not only having I been following him since he signed with OSU ,(due to the fact that his dad was Road Warrior Animal of WWF fame.) But now it seems like he might be the Patriots first round pick next April. Honestly I wasn't that impressed; lucky for young James I am a terrible judge of talent, but the only impressive play I saw him make was an open field tackle in the fourth quarter while being clipped form behind. Ohio State had a few moments in this one, so it wasn't nearly as ugly as last year's debacle at the hands of Florida, but it never felt like Ohio State had a chance, congratulations to LSU for winning this game and being lucky enough to not have to play USC or any of the other contenders for the national title because this BCS farce continues. The biggest highlight of the whole broadcast for me was when they played Con Te Partiro in the post game montage.

The best part of the game being a blowout was that I got to flip over to HBO and watch the final episode of Extras for the third time. The show was great in its brief 12 episode run, but the final episode took things to a new level. It was far more dramatic and serious, but it still had some great cringe-inducing moments along with the usual lot of witty quips, all with a underlying commentary about fame, happiness and contentment. I could watch this finale another ten times and still be enthralled every moment. Just brilliant! I've been trying to kick my DVD purchasing addiction, but I may need to pick this one up when it comes out, preferably as part of the complete series so I can get the classic jokes about "gobbling cocks" and hear David Bowie inspired song about the main character's life.

The only other thing I had to comment on was the return of America's finest athletes. That's right, I've watched all three hours of the new American Gladiators. I've been mildly entertained so far, but I don;t see this lasting too long, at least not in prime time. A few things stick out for me about the new version. First off, the new female gladiators are a lot hotter than the previous version. I have as many fond memories of Zap as anyone, especially after her appearance in Skin Deep, but she doesn't hold a candle to these new girls. The second ting that stuck out from the new show is the freakish looks of Gladiator Titan. He looks like one of the cast members from 300, only he looks in real life like they did after the visual effects had been edited in. Surprisingly in the ten plus years that the show was off the air, they couldn't come up with any new events to compete in, also I think the first budget cut should come by ditching Hulk Hogan and Laila Ali, they're terrible. Aside from the Hulkster's attempt to break a record for saying "brother" the most times in a 30 second span, there's no reason to have either of them there.

Well that's all I've got for now, don;t forget to watch the Pats in prime time this Saturday. For now...

-Bender Out

No comments: