Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Super Bowling




Finally I’m going to put out some thoughts on this Super Bowl which I wish were tomorrow. Obviously I’m predicting a huge Patriots victory, although in this case it’s probably only 75% homer-ism as opposed to my standard 100%. Tom Brady’s ankle will be fine, Bill Belichick will have his standard genius gameplan ready and the Giants will be off their roll because of the two week layoff.


Critics have started to question the Pats these past few weeks because they haven’t been winning by the same margin that they did early in the season and the opposition has been apparently moving the ball up and down the field at will. But they’re forgetting how the Pats won back to back Super Bowls in ’03 and ’04. They have the old bend but don’t break defense going for the last six quarters, and they were in full control of both playoff games. Just like they did in their back to back 17-2 seasons, they knew they’d win the games the whole time.

I actually feel really good for the Giants; they deserved a good run after giving it their all in week 17 against the Pats. In fact, I was openly rooting for the Giants the last three weeks. I love the fact that Tiki Barber is being proven wrong, I always thought he was an overrated player, especially because he was such a problem in the locker room. With Tiki out of the equation and Jeremy Shockey being injured, they had gotten rid of two thirds of the triumvirate of terror (the third being Michael Strahan) who caused all of there problems in the past and somehow led to them being the most overrated team in football every year. Now the team is more cohesive, Tom Coughlin is being allowed to lead them without his supposed “stars” undermining him at every turn.

In preparation for the upcoming Super Bowl, the NFL network has been airing old Super Bowls, and I couldn’t help but re-watch Super Bowl XX when it was on. I always loved that old Pats team; that team had two of the all-time great Patriots, John Hannah and Andre Tippett. Watching the game now I still got a little worked up. I firmly believe that Karma was working against the Bears after that game and it was behind the quick fall from total dominance to never winning another title. There was a sequence in the third quarter, while the Bears led 44-3 that the Bears blitzed five consecutive plays, sending at least seven on each play, and as if that weren’t enough the players were jumping off-sides, then delivering late hits to Pats QB, Steve Grogan. I’m all for playing hard while you’re on the field, but this was just pure “Douche-Baggery.” Combine that with the fact that they made sure to get William Perry a rushing TD without securing one for Walter Payton first sealed they fate as a one year wonder, albeit arguably the best team in history before this year’s Pats came along.

Well I’ve typed way too much for now, just wanted to give a link to another good clip off Funnyordie.com again, it's basically what restaurants would be like if me and my friends ran a restaraunt, you can see it here. Also the have a parody of the Tom Cruise Scientology video, and here's the real thing, (the real thing disappears a lot off youtibe.) Not sure which is funnier, a couple notes from the real KSW stands for Keep Scientology Working, LRH stands for L Ron Hubbard, and SP stands for Suppressive Personality and all of it translates to crazy. OK I’ll hopefully be back soon to comment on the Johan Santana trade and for now I’ll be counting down to the return of Lost on Thursday.

No comments: