Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Heath Ledger, Dead at 28


Shocking, completely shocking. When someone told me about Heath Ledger being found dead, I thought for sure it was just one of those crazy rumors that spread around and everyone is so intrigued by the information that they can’t wait for the facts to come out, so they spread it further. But now that I know it’s true I am completely floored. Sadly there are certain celebrities who I could hear died and while I would be sad, I would hardly be surprised. In fact, just last week Brad Renfro passed away and I didn’t really do so much as a double take. But unlike Renfro, Ledger never really had rumors of personal troubles, or demons that he was dealing with.

“Envy is ignorance,” I remember seeing that quote back when I was 11 years old, and although this situation doesn’t exactly apply to what Emerson was saying, it certainly holds true. Ledger seemingly had everything, and now it’s all gone. It seems like so many people who have these lives we all envy are very troubled, and very often it ends badly. Whether it be Brad Renfro, who was plucked out of his hometown as a child and handed stardom, or Ledger who was fast becoming one of the most well respected young actors in Hollywood. We don’t really know who they are or what their lives are like, we see money and fame and think it’d be wonderful to be in their place.

It’s not known yet if his overdose was intentional or an accident, but either way it is completely tragic for a talented young man who had the world at his feet.

No comments: