Sunday, October 29, 2006

Full Plate

Lots of things to comment on today, I've put off posting for a while while I've had lots I wanted to comment on.

Red Auerbach
Basically if you're my age and you grew up in the Boston area, Red Auerbach defined the modern sports genius. He created many innovations that we take for granted now in basketball. To me he introduced the whole idea of a fast-breaking team, he created the sixth man role and more importantly he had the greatest understanding of how to blend talent together and find players who complemented each other. He also signed the first African american player and started the first all black line-up in the NBA, which has to be respected. Maybe on another day I'll truly give this man the tribute he deserves. For now I'll just leave it at this, Red was the greatest basketball mind ever.

I saw the movie Running With Scissors tonight, and I give it a thumbs up, very funny, a little disturbing but all in all worth my nine dollars. It just blows my mind that everything in this movie really happened, but it'll definitely have me thinking twice before considering ever going to see a therapist. Also, kudos to Joseph Fiennes, he has a pretty big role in this movie and I had not idea it was him until I saw the credits at the end, I always enjoy when that happens and I've just ruined that moment for you.

Onto my thoughts on this sundays football games.

I mentioned it last week, but it bears repeating, I'm enjoying the current Steeler woes, and I can't help but think that losing to the Raiders represents rock bottom.

So much for my thoughts on the Cowboys chances with Romo at QB. They ran away with tonight's game at the end and Romo only made a couple awful decisions and those both came early on. by the end of the year they could be in the playoffs, especially when you look at the way a lot of the other NFC teams are playing right now.

Right now my second favorite team is whoever is playing Seattle. I loved Deion Branch while he was with the Pats, but if Seattle keeps struggling the Branch trade could be a huge windfall for the Pats. Seneca Wallace looked pretty good given his lack of experience but they're hurting right now and I can only hope it continues.

The big game of the day was Indy vs. Denver, I had this one all wrong. I thought for sure that Denver would control the ball with the run and win a surprisingly low scoring game, but instead Indy was clicking on all cylinders and won a tight one in a very tough environment. Vinatieri kicked the winning field goal and if he'd been there last year the Colts might be the defending champs. Denver's vaunted D looked all good in the first half but Indy wore them down and looked like they were scoring at will by the end.

Other games of note, Atlanta is looking good and the Giants look like a Super Bowl contender as they both had impressive wins over Cincy and Tampa respectively. Speaking of The Bengals, they definitely are not as good as most thought they would be. The Eagles who seem to have had the worst luck in the NFL so far got dominated by The Jaguars defense and I'd have to say that they'll be lucky to get a wild card spot.

So that's all for now, I'm sure I'll have a lot to say about the pats monday night game, til then.

-Bender out

No comments: