Sunday, October 22, 2006

The inaugural post of the Chrissy B Experience. A place where I'll write crazy opinions as if I've actually spent a long time thinking them out.
Today I'd like to discuss the crazy reality of network television. I read last week that CBS and NBC have already given up on Smith and Kidnapped respectively. These were supposed to be big new shows for both networks, and after just a few episodes they've already been cancelled. I can't really speak about Kidnapped, I wasn't watching it but maybe it was just in a crappy time slot or something because it had an all-star cast, and it was hyped up as much as any show on their schedule. Perhaps they could have aired it during one of the many slots currently occupied by a game show. There's definitely a better chance of me watching Kidnapped thursday at 9 than on a Wednesday night when I know I'm already committed to Lost. But that's enough on that.
Smith was a good show. They had the main plots involving the huge heists, the planning to me was exciting not to mention the heist in the Pilot was the best action sequence on TV in a long time. But my gripe goes a lot farther, the show had well thought out subplots. Amy Smart's character wanted more power. Virginia Madsen and Ray Liotta had some sort of marital distrust, that lead to her having some sort of substance abuse issue. Johnny Lee Miller and Amy Smart had the whole romance/she left him to get caught issue. Simon Baker killed a couple guys who threatened him and the guy's brother wanted to kill him. Anyway you can see that the show had a lot going for it.
The most puzzling part to me is that they just took it off the air, is it really more beneficial for the network to air re-runs of one of their CSI shows? I'm sure they've pre-paid for a bunch of episodes, I can't imagine it was only 3 episodes. Why not let the show keep running, see if it picked up popularity and momentum.
The bottom line for me is that there is a total lack of quality shows and if they cancel a potential good show early on the viewers are the ones who lose. Bring back my show dammit!

No comments: